Click here for details
Registration now open
Early Bird Deadline April 18
[Click here for details]
STLE2014 Technical Program
& Registration Guide
STLE University. Education Your Way. Focused. Flexible. Accessible
View all courses currently available
The digital edition of the March TLT is now available
[Click here to access the March TLT]
Use promo code STL71 at checkout
Tribology Transactions is now fully digital. STLE members have free online access to over 2000 papers dating back to 1957.
OilDoc 2015 Call for Abstracts
Deadline March 31st
Click here for details
Find raw materials Faster at Innovadex.com
Start your Job Search Today!
The Best Place to Find the Perfect Job is
Just a click away
Click the images below to connect with STLE
Connect with other industry professional through the STLE LinkedIn Group
Communicate with us through the STLE Facebook page
Listen to all STLE podcasts through The Official STLE Blog
View pictures of STLE 2013 Annual Meeting on Flickr page
Stay up to date with tweets from STLE
View videos from STLE
STLE Newsletter April 4, 2014
Table of Content
• Early Bird Registeration for STLE 2014 Ends April 18th
• STUDENTs - Annual Meeting Course Assistants Needed – Sign Up Ends April 18th
• 2014 Annual Meeting Hotel – Availability @ Port Orleans Resort French Quarter
• New Extended Abstract Submission Process for STLE2014
• MORE ANNUAL MEETING NEWS
• Tribology Frontiers Conference CALL FOR ABSTRACTS Deadline April 10th
• STLE Outstanding Section Award
• Local Section Education Workshops
• European Webinar Series Launch
• Upcoming Webinar Events
• CRC Book Deal – Handbook of Industrial Drying, 4th Ed.
Early Bird Registeration for STLE 2014 Ends April 18th
This is a friendly reminder that the Early Bird registration for the 2014 STLE Annual Meeting will end on April 18th. Members and non-members who register by April 18, 2014 will save $90 on their registration fees. Take advantage of the savings and register today. Click here to register.
STLE will also be hosting 12 education courses at the STLE 2014 Annual Meeting. Course details can be found by using the links below. Corporate members remember to take advantage of your 2-3 free registration to the meeting and 2-3 education course registration.
Sunday, May 18
• Basic Lubrication 101
• Bearing and Their Lubrication (co-hosted with ABMA)
• Condition Monitoring 301: 21st Century Conditions Monitoring
• Grease 101: Fundamentals of Grease (co-hosted by NGLI)
• Hydraulics 102: Basic Hydraulic Components and Systems
• MWF 125: Health and Safety, and an introduction to GHS
• Synthetics Lubricants 203: Non-Petroleum Fluids and Their Uses
Wednesday, May 21
• Advanced Lubrication 301
• Basic Lubrication 102: Basic Applications
• Gears 101: Fundamentals of Gears
• MWF 130: Metal Treating, Cleaning & Protection Fluids
• Synthetic Lubrication 204: Fluid Formulations & Applications
The festest and easiest way to register is online.
[Click here to register online]
[Click here for a PDF register form]
STUDENTs - Annual Meeting Course Assistants Needed – Sign Up Ends April 18th
This year, we will again be offering a FREE course attendance (a $295 value!) to student members (and attendees of the Annual Meeting) who sign up to serve as Course Assistants. Registration is now open – and will close April 18th. You can sign up to serve as a course assistant by adding it to your conference registration online. Click here for a list and descriptions of the 12 education courses. For questions, or more information, please contact Kara Sniegowski at email@example.com.
• Attend a mandatory orientation webinar (April 22 or 24)
• Arrive 7:00a.m. the morning of your class. Go to the STLE membership desk for instructions.
• Go to your classroom, collect tickets, distribute course books and evaluation cards. If an attendee cannot produce a ticket, direct them to the registration desk to have one printed.
• Coordinate boxed lunch (ensuring Course Chairs break at the appointed time)
• Tickets will be used in prize drawings at the end of class, so please be sure to retrieve all tickets after the contest is over.
• At the end of the course, the course chair (or you) will randomly draw one of the tickets. The winner receives a coupon redeemable for a textbook courtesy of STLE/CRC, at the STLE Membership Booth.
• At course completion, collect evaluation cards from attendees, folder from course chair, any remaining course books and all tickets and return them to registration desk.
[Click here to register] This function is only available to STLE Student Members
2014 Annual Meeting Hotel Availability @ Port Orleans Resort French Quarter
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort French Quarter – Room Block Available
To reserve your room call Disney reservations at (407)939-4686
Room blocks at the Contemporary, Grand Floridian and Wilderness lodge have been exhausted and are now sold out. However we have made available a room block at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort French Quarter, near the Contemporary. Click here details of details on the Port Orleans Resort.
Attendees may call the Group Reservations number +1 (407)939-4686, if they wish to book a room at this property.
Based on the number of rooms booked, limited transportation will be provided in the morning and evening between the Port Orleans and the Contemporary. Disney provides transportation during the day between the Port Orleans and the Magic Kingdom, next door to the Contemporary.
The early bird deadline for registering for the meeting and reserving a hotel room with the STLE discount is April 18, 2014.
For any remaining questions, please contact the STLE office during normal business hours for personal assistance. Call (847)825-5536.
New Extended Abstract Submission Process for STLE2014
In an effort to provide attendees with the opportunity of not missing a presentation, we encourage speakers to submit a 2-3 page Extended Abstract of your presentation. In addition to the 2-3 page abstract, speakers may also wish to include handout materials. Both abstracts and handouts must be converted as a PDF attachment before submission.
To participate, please submit the following materials:
• Create a brief 2-3 page summary of your presentation (Click here for sample template). Please make sure to include your technical track or category and keywords from your original abstract.
• If you also wish to submit handouts, convert materials as a PDF attachment before submission.
• Convert your Extended Abstract and any handouts (if applicable) as a PDF attachment and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include 2014 Extended Abstracts into the subject line of your message.
We suggest that speakers submit their abstracts and handouts before Wednesday, April 30 that way we can make presentations available to attendees prior to the meeting. We realize speakers might still be working on their presentations before they arrive, so abstracts and handouts may also be submitted any time after April 30, as well as during and immediately following the meeting to allow more of your colleagues to benefit from your presentations.
If you have questions or need assistance with submitting your presentation, please contact Karl Phipps, (847) 825-5536, email@example.com.
MORE ANNUAL MEETING NEWS
Record 500 Technical Presentation Slated for STLE2014
More than 450 technical presentations are slated for the STLE 2014 Annual Meeting. Combined with student posters, the total number of technical presentation attendees may choose from exceeds 500.
[Click here to view technical program]
[Click here to register]
2014 Trade Show is Sold Out – See who will be Exhibiting
A good indication that the 2014 STLE Annual Meeting is shaping up as one of the biggest in recent years, the exhibition has sold out. In total 81 companies will be showcasing the newest technologies in the industry. [Click here to see who will be exhibiting]
Learn about tomorrow’s new products at the STLE 2014 CMF
The CMF is an outstanding opportunity for you to learn about the new products and services entering the lubricants industry. More than 20 companies will be presentation that this year’s CMF. [Click here for the 2014 CMF Lineup]
Tribology Frontiers Conference CALL FOR ABSTRACTS Deadline April 10th
In an effort to give everyone a chance to submit their abstracts for presentation for the 2014 Tribology Frontiers Conference, STLE has extended the abstract submission deadline by 3 weeks until April 10th. All interested should submit their work by end of day April 10, 2014 to http://2014stlefrontiers.abstractcentral.com
Please note: You do not need a finished paper to participate in the conference. However, STLE is partnering with the esteemde peer reviewed journal Tribolology Letters. You have the option of submitting you research for consideration in a special issue of TL dedicated to the 2014 Tribology Frontiers Conference.
Join us for an All-New Fall Meeting focused on the future of tribology. STLE combines its tradition of conference excellence into a dynamic new formatt that highlights the role tribology can play in solving future scientific and societal challenges.
Tracks Descriptions and Invited Speakers Bios are available. Meet this year’s speakers
1. Advanced Methods - invited speaker - Dr. Janet Wong, Imperia College of London
2. Micro & Nano Scales - invited speaker - Dr. Mark Hersam, Northwestern University
3. Macro Scales - Invited speaker - Dr. Michael D. Bryant, University of Texas at Austin
4. Medical Applications - invited speaker - Dr. Brett Levine, Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush
5. Natural Processes - invited speaker - Dr. Emily Brodsky, University of California at Santa Cruz
6. Energy Economy & Sustainability - Invited speaker - Dr. Selda Gunsel, Shell
7. Tribology in Manufacturing Processes - invited speaker Dr. Pierre Montmitonnet, Centre de Mise en Forme Des Materiaux (Cemef)
Call for Abstracts
Submission deadline: April 10,2014
Submit at: http://2014stlefrontiers.abstractcentral.com
Join us as we host the first Tribology Frontiers Conference which will take place October 26-28, 2014 in Chicago Illinois, USA – Click here for details
STLE Outstanding Section Award
Section Leaders here is the Outstanding Section Award Application. Please complete the form and return to judy Enblom, STLE headquaters at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (847)825-1456 by April 15th.
[Click here to download the Section Awards Form]
Local Section Education Workshops
Some of the best education is provided by your local sections. Every years STLE’s local sections offer full-day education workshops on important topics within Tribology and Lubrication Engineering. Here is a list of the upcoming workshop
• April 24, 2014: Philadelphia – Education Workshop
Hydraulics Fracturing | Click here for details
• May 1&2, 2014: North Texas and Oklahoma – Education Workshop
Check back soon for more information
• November 6, 2014: Hamilton, Canada - Education Workshop
Failure of Fluids’ Systems Components | Check back soon for Registration Information
Upcoming Local Section Technical Meetings (Week of March 10, 2014)
• April 8 – Toronto Section
• April 8 – Houston Section Golf outing
• April 8 – North Texas Section
• April 8 – Cleveland Section
For more upcoming meetings please visit the STLE Calendar
European Webinar Series Launch
STLE’s brand-new European Webinar Series is for a European audience, addressing topics most relevant to those in the area, but registration is open to anyone, regardless of location. This series will begin at 8:00 a.m. Central Time, instead of the 12:00 p.m. Central Time start for our regular webinar program.
Please join us for the following events:
• 4/24: Fuel Efficiency Screening, with Matic Omerzel, Powertrib
• 9/3: Electrostatic Discharge in Hydraulic and Lubricating Systems, with John Duchowski, HYDAC
• 10/9: Base Oils for Lubricating Greases with Valentina Serra-Holm, Nynas AB
• 11/25: MWFs (final topic TBA), with Neil Canter, Chemical Solutions
More information, as available, will be posted here.
Upcoming Webinar Events
Please note upcoming deadlines – get ahead of the rest and register today!
• April 16 – Successfully Flushing a Turbine Oil System | Register by 4/14
• April 18 – Cardinal Sins of Hydraulic System Design | Register by 4/14
• May 7 – Performance Additives for Lubricating Greases | Register by 5/5
• May 8 – Wire Ropes and Chains: Wear Mechanisms & Means of Lubrication and Maintenance | Register by 5/5
• June 5 – Grease Particle Evaluation: Meaningful Measurement of Matter | Register by 6/2
• June 11 –Why Hydraulic Fluids Fail | Register by 6/9
[Click here] for a list of the upcoming webinars and for more details
CRC Book Deal – Handbook of Industrial Drying, 4th Ed.
Authored by: Arun S. Mujumdar
Listed Price: $279.95
Discounted Price: $223.96
Cat. #: K20788 ISBN: 9781466596658
Publication Date: July 2014 Pages: 1376
[Click here] to view in STLE Store
Industrial drying continues to attract increasing attention from industry and academia in view of its inherently energy-intensive characteristics. This completely revised Fourth Edition includes 16 new chapters to ensure readers benefit from the latest developments in the field. It helps readers become aware of and evaluate diverse options available to them. New chapters cover computational fluid dynamic simulation, solar drying, impingement drying, pulse combustion drying, drying of paddy, drying of fruits and vegetables, drying of sugar, drying of biomass, physicochemical aspects of sludge drying, drying of coal, life cycle assessment of drying systems, and more.
• Focuses on industrial applications
• Covers commonly encountered dryers as well as innovative dryers with future potential
• Contains contributions from authors with internationally recognized academic and industrial expertise
Includes 16 new chapters detailing the latest developments in the field
If you are an STLE member, receive special 20% discount simply log in to www.stle.org and go to the STLE Store (Books and Publications) to receive discount. Non-members, to receive 15% discount, apply promo code STL71 at time of checkout when you order from www.crcpress.com.
Archived newsletter available
Click here to view archived STLE Newsletter